Thursday 22 September 2011

Clang! Namedrop Fish Supper of the Week


Tom Kerridge and Matthew Fort would only agree to the photo if I promised to keep my eyes closed

OK, so I was recently hanging out with Tom Kerridge, Great British Menu winner and all-round amazing guy, and he gave me some sea bass fillets.  This was fabulous because sea bass is (a) delicious (b) in season and (c) eye-wateringly expensive.  

In my, very humble, opinion the key to sea bass is 'keep it simple'.  You don't want to over complicate things and run the risk of cocking it up after you've parted with all that cash for a few fillets.  Actually, that would make an excellent second key to sea bass; "keep it simple" and "don't cock it up".

So here's what I did with mine.  

I had some waxy potatoes, some large flat mushrooms and some peas (all in season as well I hasten to add!) so I thought I'd roast the sea bass on the spuds, fry off the mushrooms and make a simple pea salsa.  Sort of like fish, chips and mushy peas if you had the Queen or Posh Spice coming round.

Cut the spuds into thick slices, throw them on a baking tray and glug on a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper.  Put them in a hot oven for 15 mins.  After 15 mins place the sea bass on the potatoes skin side up, rub olive oil on the skin and season.  Return to the oven and cook for another 10-12 mins.


While this is going on fry the mushrooms in butter and cook the peas for a minute or two.  Blitz the cooked peas with some butter, a little cream if you have it, and some salt and pepper.  Season the mushrooms.  Put on a plate and enjoy.

I think Tom would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment